Categories
Uncategorized

Why You Should Do Public Speaking During College

Image Source: https://unsplash.com/photos/W15cfW4qQR8

I’m a college student and I often participate in Toastmasters, the debating club, and other public speaking activities. This is an article about why public speaking is for everyone. I also summarize the benefits and advantages of having public speaking experience.

Introduction and background on myself

As a senior college student, I have learned a lot about public speaking. I am in my last year of college, and I am currently a double major in Finance and Economics, including a minor in Computer Science. I have participated in the following activities over my years at college:

• Toastmasters
  • College Honors Society, which is a club in which honors students can participate in social and academic activities.
  • Economics Honors Society, which is a club in which honors students can participate in simulated trading activities.

I love public speaking and find it to be energizing and uplifting. But first, what is public speaking?

Public Speaking

Public speaking is simply any event, activity, competition, formal social event, or even informal social event, where you are expected to deliver a speech, talk, seminar, lecture, comedy event, or even “a few words” off the cuff. Many people find this absolutely terrifying. Other people seem to be born standing up. However, it’s just like anything else. Practice makes perfect, and you just have to do it.

Benefits of Public Speaking

A lot has been written about the benefits of public speaking, but just in case you have missed the memo, here’s a list of some of the benefits. Note that you won’t notice many of these changes instantly, but they accumulate over time and you’ll be a better person at the end. You will definitely be able to look back and see the change after the fact.

Without further ado, the answers to “Why should I do public speaking?”

• It makes you a better speaker overall, in everyday situations
  • It makes you a better business person, in that you are better able to pitch business ideas, convince crowds of employees, crowds of investors, and crowds of customers.
  • It makes you more prepared for any form of verbal job interview. Many candidates perform poorly purely because of nervousness, which can be solved easily by overcoming the fear of talking to crowds.
  • It makes you more prepared for any future job (there are in fact many careers and tasks that are directly dependent on being an excellent speaker, such recording a corporate voice over for your company)
  • It helps you to be more confident and charismatic. Everyone just likes you more when you can confidently and loudly command the attention of a room, with well articulated content and engaging topics.

What is Toastmasters?

Toastmasters is a program that focuses on making you a better speaker. It focuses on the core fundamentals of being a good speaker, such as speaking clearly, loudly, slowly, with emphasis, correct tone, humor, and emotion. And much more! Now, I am not trying to scare you. This is not as hard as it seems, and it’s definitely not that complicated. It just takes practice. You start with the basics, and learn from those other Toastmasters who have been learning for longer than you. It’s like anything.

How long does it take to learn?

Toastmasters is a long term activity, you generally attend weekly or monthly sessions, and take an exam every two months. It’s a great way to meet new people and make new friends, since you are all focusing on the same goal of becoming better speakers. When you visit an international Toastmasters event, you will be amazed at the wide range of people you see there. There are people of all ages, from all walks of life, with all sorts of occupations. It’s a great place to meet people, especially since you are all working towards the same goal.

If you are interested in finding a club, then know that Toastmasters is a global organization, and I assume that there is one in your area. You can find the closest club by going to the following link:

http://www.toastmasters.org/find-a-club

This link will take you to the official directory of Toastmasters clubs. If you are in the US, you can also search for clubs by state, city, and zip code. If you don’t know where to start, you can also search for clubs that are near your home, work, school, or anywhere else you might already be hanging out.

I hope this answers your question of “why should I do public speaking”. This is something that everyone should do. It’s a skill that you will gain, and use for the rest of your life. You will be able to stand up in front of a crowd, and be confident and charismatic. You will be able to speak your mind, and impress the people who are listening. You will be able to feel proud of yourself, since you have achieved a new skill. You will be able to make new friends, and meet new people. You will be able to practice and feel more confident in your everyday life, and you can use the skills you learn in Toastmasters in your everyday life.