Nowadays, people spend a considerable amount of time in front of digital screens like laptops, tablets, and mobiles. This has increased manifold during the lockdowns due to the pandemic. But this practice has also increased the exposure of blue light to a whole new level.
Blue light is a part of the spectrum, and the sun is its primary source. But this blue light has become a cause of worry and problem for the health of people these days. The solution to this problem of blue light is the use of blue-light-blocking glasses.
There are many benefits of using these glasses, plus designer blue light glasses can be an excellent addition to your fashion wardrobe.
Below are five critical benefits of wearing blue light glasses.
- Blue light glasses help in improving sleep. Let us consider the example of being out in the sun. Short wavelengths of light keep you alert, and you find it harder to sleep. It happens because exposure to short wavelengths delays the release of melatonin, a sleep-inducing hormone. If you spend time on your digital screens within 1 to 2 hours before sleeping, using blue light glasses can reduce your exposure to it and promote sleep.
- Alleviate eye strain. Spending a considerable amount of time each day on digital screens can increase the amount of strain on your eyes. Blue light is known to produce difficulties in concentrating on your screen. It results in loss of focus due to eye strain. If you use a pair of blue-light-blocking glasses, the eye strain can reduce significantly.
- Reduce migraine attacks. Researchers claim that blue light may be associated with more frequent migraine attacks. It is a trigger to bad headaches for sure. Blue light not just triggers the pain but can also increase it significantly. Thus the use of blue light glasses can reduce headaches. The degree of pain associated with headaches is also reduced to a large extent by using blue light glasses.
- Blue light is also known to increase eye dryness. Eyes need to stay lubricated to stay healthy. There is an automatic physiological system in place for us regarding this lubrication of our eyes. Exposure to blue light can alter the process and cause our eyes to produce fewer tears. The result is dry eyes that are prone to itching and discomfort. At times, this can even lead to allergic reactions and red eyes. Blue-light-blocking glasses can help keep our eyes lubricated, and there are fewer chances of such a problem.
- Our eye is a sensitive organ. There is much natural protection in place, but still, it is susceptible to blue light. The cornea and the eye lens can block out UV rays and keep them from reaching the retina, but they cannot block out blue light. Blue light can damage the retina and cause macular degeneration, which is a leading cause of blindness. If you wear blue light glasses, your chances of facing this problem reduce substantially.